After implementing the trees and a few new types of vegetation, I’ve noticed that the frame rate is starting to suffer. This is mainly because it’s trying to draw so many polygons (need to implement some kind of terrain LOD system), but also because my layout at the very core of my rendering code isn’t very tidy. When I started the project, the rendering engine was very specifically geared towards rendering terrain. Then when it came to adding water, entities and vegetation rendering I very lazily hacked in a render list to handle them.
Now I’m at the point where I really need to spend some time thinking about how to make nice clean rendering code, and how to implement it. I’ll probably release another alpha version once I get these changes in place, but there won’t be many big visible things different from the current version when that release comes around.
P.s. commenting is now fixed and enabled on my blog posts (oops).